Orwell Hotel

This retail and residential block was completed in 1910 during the construction boom preceding WWI. It was constructed with reinforced concrete frame with a beautifully detailed front façade of buff brick and terra cotta stone. It featured a wood trim and terra cotta storefront as well as a projecting sheet metal cornice with twin brackets on either side. The restoration of the front façade maintains its original character, including the reconstruction of the wooden storefront with a glazed block surround, the reconstruction of the sheet metal cornice and the provision of new metal clad wood windows within the original frames. All 55 suites have been updated with all new finishes and the ground floor has been entirely rehabilitated to accommodate a social enterprise café, amenity spaces for the residents such as a communal kitchen and dining room, meeting and office spaces, a craft room and laundry.