Rainier Hotel

The Rainier hotel was designed by architect Emil Guenther in 1907. Guenther created numerous similar rooming houses with ground floor commercial uses. The Rainier Hotel was at the center of the ‘logger’s district’ where seasonally employed resource industry workers could find cheap accommodation and ready access to an abundance of cafes, saloons, outfitters, laundries and billiard halls. The original two-foot thick granite masonry foundation walls of the Balmoral Hotel, a Klondike era gambling resort, were incorporated into the current Rainier Hotel basement foundation wall system. The trapezoidal-shaped building has been fully rehabilitated to house 45 residential units and amenity/support spaces, which are day lit by interior lightwells and a rear light court. The facade features a new period storefront, restored sheet metal cornice and restored brick masonry. The original exuberant 1930s era neon blade sign has also been reconstructed. The building is another heritage pearl along the city’s new Carrall street green-way.