153 Mile Store

The historic 153 Mile General Store was constructed in 1914 by Italian settler Louis Crosina, and served
the needs of locals and travelers at a rest stop used primarily by teamsters, as the long slow grade rising
up to this point precluded their reaching the next mile house. The mile‐house rest stops (ie. 100 Mile
House, 150 Mile House) derive from a measurement of 0 mile at the bend in the Main Street of Lillooet
along the Old Cariboo Road, built by contractor Gustavus Blin‐Wright in 1861‐62 from Lillooet to
Williams Lake, Van Winkle and on to Williams Creek. The store operated until 1963, when the proprietor,
Lil Crosina, passed away.